The Sun Inn
High Street, Clun, Craven Arms, Shropshire
An unusual town name, it was Old English Clune in 1086 from the River Clun, an ancient pre-English river name with uncertain meaning. The Sun Inn is a stockily built, white painted structure with fine windows, with is Second-grade listed. The Sun is originally from the 15th century. It is built of a cruck-frame construction. Inside are ancient oak beams and a large inglenook fireplace. Some original 17th century wallpaper reports revealed during renovation, with is now a feature in the lounge bar. Part of the Sun was a bakery until the early 1970s, with one ghost that haunts the pub is from that period. Many times, employees have walked into the kitchen to detect the odour of freshly made bread. This was despite the fact that nothing had been cooked overnight. They sense a curious presence, with see the ghost of a woman in white. She glides along the corridor, stops briefly and then dissolves through a wall. The same corridor exhibits ghostly manifestations. these include a male ghost in black, who had been described as ‘quite horrible’. Staff and customers have witnessed the ghost of another man leaning against the bar. He is dressed in 17th century clothing, with has a small, pointed beard. Occasionally, people have deliberately stood where he makes his appearance, with have been given a very sturdy push.