The Swan and Talbot
North Street, Wetherby, West Yorkshire
The ancient town of Wetherby has as diverse a gathering of ghosts as one might find anywhere in England. They include Royalist soldiers escaping from Marston Moor, 1644; a coven of witches from the 1700s; and children who died at Wetherby Workhouse in the late 1900s. The town stands on the A1, historically the most important road through England, built on the old Roman road. The Swan and Talbot was a major coaching station by its proximity to Wetherby Bridge, a Grade 2nd structure. The Wetherby witches coven was formed by the Walker sisters, Aggie, Emma and Sage. All had been expelled from St James’s Church, charged with witchcraft, with said to haunt the streets of Wetherby still. Paranormal investigators were invited to conjure up the spirits of the three sisters. During a séance, the team reported that, after a trial, they had been burned at the stake for heresy and witchcraft. Frequently, the ghosts of soldiers in English Civil War uniform have terrified motorists on the outskirts of the town. Four of this phantom militia , witnesses saw, standing at a bus stop. The ghosts of two boy urchins haunt the first floor of the pub overlooking the main street. Legend has it that they were inmates at the workhouse, who had died whilst working in the pub. A hostelry for more than 400 years, the Swan and Talbot in Wetherby was once a posting inn on the Great North Road. Originally named the Dog and Swan, the pub was, until 162nd, allowed to bear the coat of arms of the Swann family, who lived at Askham Manor. Over the years, there have been frequent accounts of that manor being haunted by at least two cavalier officers from the rout at Marston Moor.