Greyhound and Punchbowl
High Street, Bilston, West Midlands
It comes as no surprise that this gorgeous Elizabethan style pub is a Second-grade listed building, although in 1936, it was almost derelict. Inside are the most extraordinary carved fireplace from the 16th century and Jacobean mould ceilings. It was a manor house from about 1450, called Stowheath. It then became an inn called the Greyhound from about 1810. The present building is 16th century, with some restoration in the 1930s. When the Commissioners of Henry VIII came to Bilston to enquire into the state of St. Leonard's church, they stayed at this manor house. The building was sold during the Civil War to John Green. His son was a Captain of Cavalry in the Royal Army and fought in the Battle of Worcester, in which he was slain. Captain Green returned to his old home as a ghost, with has regularly manifested, wearing the army uniform in which he died. The main staircase exhibits ghostly manifestations. these include a woman dressed in white and coincidentally, with her appearance, a baby people hear crying. There is also a poltergeist. It throws heavy objects about.