The All Nations
20 Coalport Road, Madeley, Telford, Shropshire
The rather square looking, white painted building, has history from 1789 and became a pub in 1832 under the 1830 Beerhouse Act and At one time, in pub parlance, ‘All Nations’ meant a mixture of drinks from all the unfinished bottles. In his Tavern Anecdotes, Hindley maintains that tobacco handlers mixed pieces of unsmoked tobacco together. Sellers sold it as ‘All Nations Tobacco’. The general sense of ‘mixture’ has been lost since the early 19th century. It exhibits ghostly manifestations. These include an elderly man. He was quite small, wore a jacket, a woolly hat, and fingerless mittens. A cleaner reported that this ghost appeared to be such a solid form that she cleaned around him. Barking further haunts this establishment. Supposedly, there is an invisible dog.