74 Prince St, Madeley, Telford, Shropshire
During the early 19th century, Madeley was the centre of coal mining for the Industrial Revolution. On January 2, 1810, the Meadow Pit caught fire. This was with 13 men and 8 ponies underground, all of whom managed to surface without injury from a depth of 1,000 feet. On the following day, four men descended the mine to calculate the damage below. They were suffocated by the build-up of sulphur fumes. This Georgian style pub people called after the intrepid men, women and children, who went down every day to hew coal. It exhibits ghostly manifestations. these include the ghosts of some of the miners who had been customers here, with who had died at different times whilst underground. Over the years, many licensees have heard the sounds of men drinking and chattering in the bar, after they have retired to bed. When they have gone down to investigate, the bar is empty. It is further haunted by a man in a flat cap, who appears through a wall and follows men to the lavatory.