The Haunch Of Venison
1 Minster Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire
Eccentric and delightful in equal parts, the Haunch of Venison was originally built as a church tower for St Thomas's church nearby in 1320. An old woman in a white shawl manifests from time to time, with leaves behind an odour of freshly tilled earth. Another ghost here is a gambler, who , an assailant took this person’s life, when caught cheating. In 1903, a pack of marked cards and a mummified hand , people found, and Pubs named after game, or the hunt, are usually found near royal hunting grounds. Venison is typically thought to be solely the flesh of deer. However, it derives from venari. This Latin to hunt, with meant all types of prey.