The Cross Guns
Avoncliff, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire
A super 17th century canal-side pub, the Cross Guns exhibits ghostly manifestations. these include at least three ghosts. They have been described as a woman in blue, a grey woman and an old man. During the First World War, the customers were mainly local stonemasons and military patients from the local Red Cross hospital. It is believed that these apparitions are from that period. The oldest part of the pub is the central twin gable. Avoncliff is the point at which the Kennet and Avon canal crosses the river and railway line via the Avoncliff Aqueduct. These were built by John Rennie and chief engineer John Thomas, between 1797 and 1801.