1 The Street, Charmouth, Bridport, Dorset
This is one of the foremost former coaching inns of Dorset. It is on the old turnpike between Exeter and Dorchester. The George was famous when sea bathing became fashionable in the 18th century. There is one room in the roof called the ‘Hidden Room’, that was discovered in 1885, having had its staircase previously blocked off. That staircase is steeper than modern ones, with the door is slightly shorter and narrower than would be found today. However, no records exist about concealing that room. The ghost that haunts this inn had lived in this room. It is witnessed in a sitting position. However, it is without a chair or other support. Outside, on the road to Bridport, witnesses saw two ghosts. One is a woman, wearing a pale dress, running up the hill with her long coat or cloak flying behind her. The other is an elderly man dressed in a long brown cloak, walking out of the inn to disappear in the road.