Plymouth Road, Tavistock, West Devon
The Bedford Inn at Tavistock dates from 1820 and is built in a castellated style. It stands on the site of a former Benedictine abbey of which the 15th-century gateway and stone port remain. On such a site, one might expect the building to be haunted by an ancient monk however it actually exhibits other ghostly manifestations. These include a young girl dressed in an early 20th-century frock and wearing a flowered bonnet. Witnesses see her walking along corridors and occasionally she manifests in the dining room. It was the general practice for the feudal proprietor to give his name to the main village inn and in this case, it was the Duke of Bedford. He had it designed by Jeffry Wyatt who was also responsible for Windsor Castle in 1824.