The Bishop Lacey
Fore Street, Chudleigh, Devon, Newton Abbot
The pub people called after the prelate, Edmund Lacy, who died in 1455 as Bishop of Exeter. At one time, he was dean of the Royal Chapel. He accompanied Henry V to the Battle of Agincourt in 1415. On several occasions, observers have seen a ghostly man in a cloak, to enter this pub. He ascends the staircase and then disappears at the top. Some members of employees have followed him. However, maintain that on the tops step, he vanishes in a mist. The building was once part of the local monastery hospice. It was the summer home of Bishop Lacy. During the early part of the Second World War, the Nazis blew Exeter apart in bombing raids and the cathedral damaged. While builders made repairs, people found a number of wax models, which someone had placed on Lacy’s tomb. Pilgrims had made their way over the centuries for a miracle cure. They had left their votive gifts.