Sheepscombe, Painswick, Gloucestershire, Stroud
With history from 1670, this pub was opposite the gallows where local rustlers and other ne’er do wells were hanged. There are well-documented hauntings at the Butchers’ Arms by two women, one of which has a little lapdog she carries. Those who have seen them, sometimes together and sometimes walking apart, say they are a gentle old couple. The inn is also haunted by the ghosts of some of the outlaws who were hanged. However, these are less well described, more as black shapes, accompanied by weeping sounds. In the village, they had unusual punishment stocks in that they were made of iron with round holes for the legs to be restrained. They were , locals knew, as the ‘Squire’s spectacles’. There are 99 yew trees in the parish churchyard and Reports maintain this is all that will grow. When a 100th tree is planted, another one dies. The surrounding area exhibits ghostly manifestations. these include a woman dressed in lavender or mauve coloured clothing. Locals think she to be the woman who was responsible for closing down several local pubs in the early part of the nineteenth century.