Blackmore Vale Inn
Burton Street, Marnhull, Dorset
The middle part of the Blackmore Vale Inn was thatched until recently. The pub has history from the 17th century. Inside, it is heavily beamed with bare stonewalls. It has two open inglenook fireplaces. It featured as ‘Rollivers’ in Thomas Hardy’s Tess of the d’Durbvervilles when he called the village Marlot. The inn is stone built with a slate roof on two storeys. It has a skittle alley. Over 400 years ago, the building was farm cottages that became a bake house, a brewery, and then an inn in 1718. Officials describe this area in one judicial report as ‘abounding with great numbers of dangerous rogues’. Inside, the inn exhibits ghostly manifestations. These include an aged farmer or farm labourer, sitting in a bar. There are infrequent appearances. Observers describe him as wearing a pull down black hat. He also wore either a grey smock or loose jacket. The village exhibits ghostly manifestations. These include a line of mourners following a black horse drawn hearse. This is always at midnight, although the date changes.