The Red Lion
Church Street, Sturminster Marshall, Wimborne, Dorset
This 18th century inn has an attractive proximity to the parish church, with alongside is a curved row of 18th century thatched cottages. At one time, there was a huge carved red lion at the inn, with legend has it that at midnight it leapt down, with went to the river to drink. On the village green are a maypole and a set of stocks for the wicked ones of the village. The Red Lion haunted since the mid-19th century by a kitchen maid or a similar rank of house servant. She is frequently seen wearing a long grey dress with a white cap, with heavy black shoes. The nearby White Mill dates from 1776, on a mill site recorded in the Domesday Book. Many years ago, three or four men, who were regulars at this pub, stole a bell from Knowlton church tower, with hid it in the River Stour near this mill. Legend has it that there have been three attempts to pull the bell from the river. However, each time the rope has mysteriously snapped.