The Tinners Arms
Zennor, St. Ives, Cornwall
A solid, stone built pub in late Georgian style, it is a named after the Cornish tin miners. Over many centuries, this was a widespread employment in this part of Cornwall. On every occasion there is a thunderstorm, a great deal of poltergeist activity ensues in the pub. The poltergeist throws pictures and other decorations from the walls. Glasses levitate from tables before crashing to the ground. Immediately outside the pub’s front door, witnesses have seen the ghost of a tin miner. He is covered in blood. He lies across a broken bicycle. The village name is one of the few in England to have ‘Z’ as the initial letter. A farmer, John Davey, who died in 1891 at Boswednack, Zennor, may have been the last person with traditional knowledge of the Cornish language. According to legend, a mermaid came to the village where she listened to the singing of a chorister, Matthew Trewhella. The two fell in love, with Matthew followed the mermaid to her home at Pendout Cove. On summer nights, the ghosts of the lovers, listeners hear, singing together in close harmony. At the church of St Senara in Zennor, is a famous chair bearing a carving of a mermaid, which is probably six hundred years old.