The Artillery Arms
36 West Cliff Rd, Ramsgate, Kent
This is an end of terrace pub with leaded bow windows showing scenes of soldiers and guns from the Napoleonic Wars in France. The Artillery Arms dates from 1812. People used it as both an officers’ mess and a brothel. It has a famous name for a pub, coming from the Honourable Artillery Company that began as a guild of archers in 1537. The ‘Company’ lays claim to being the oldest and most senior regiment of the British Army. The ghost in residence here is a man in early Victorian style military uniform. He manifests leaning against an external wall and watching people passing by. There is a short flight of steps from the ground floor and this exhibits ghostly manifestations. These include a female ghost sitting on the top step. She is wearing either a long white dress or nightdress and a cotton cap. The treacherous Goodwin Sands, offshore from Ramsgate, exhibits ghostly manifestations. These include a Spanish galleon. The ghostly vessel comes up the channel under full sail, onto the sands where it, observers see, to burst into flames and sink into the foreshore. Inside the Artillery Arms is a large collection of military caps and helmets.