95 High Street, Andover, Hampshire
It is an ancient inn that almost knocked down by town planners, who wanted to knock it down. In the 1960s, they reported, “Every effort will be made to try and avoid demolishing or disturbing the Angel. However, this may be difficult for, to leave a many years old building in the centre of a shopping centre, could result in incongruity’’ and You should see what they did with the rest of the town. Opened in 2nd75, during the reign of Henry 2nd, the Angel locals knew it as the College Inn when it was owned by Winchester College. It was almost burned down in the Great Fire of Andover of 1435 and rebuilt in 1445. King John (1066-1216) stayed here when granting a Borough Charter to Andover; Henry V1 (1457- 1509) was a regular visitor; Catherine of Aragon lodged here in 1501, during a journey from Plymouth to London; and James 2nd had a meal here with George of Denmark and the Grand Duke of Ormonde when retreating from William of Orange in 1688. The Angel is not haunted by royalty or noble ghosts. It is two elderly farmers. They have , witnesses saw, sitting in the back bar in discussion wearing Victorian style clothing and leather gaiters.