The Five Bells
Church Road, Seal, Sevenoaks, Kent, Stone Street
This small back street pub dates from from three cottages in the 18th century. The Five Bells has a low ceilinged bar. It is decorated with photographs of the village life. The cottages had been standing from the 15th century. In the 1950s, the Five Bells was kept by ‘Ratty’ Williams, who was also the local rat catcher. Legend has it that ‘Ratty’ is still in residence as a ghost, dressed in well-worn working clothes. During an early balloon ascent in the area in 1825, the local militia people called in to prevent the superstitious locals destroying this modern beast. The Five Bells someone named after the nautical term for the beginning of a watch.