The Queens Head
Parsonage Lane, Icklesham, Winchelsea, East Sussex
There are two ghosts haunting this pleasant country pub. One is an old man who , witnesses have seen, sitting by a fireplace. He is dressed as a shepherd, or farm worker, in an old-fashioned pull-down hat and appears to be chewing straw or holding an unlit pipe in his mouth. The other ghost is Mr. Gutsell, a former proprietor, who died here in the 19th century. Built in 1632, with converted into an alehouse in the early 1830s the Queen’s Head is a timber-framed building with the pub name on the roof that can be viewed from many miles away.