The White Hart
126 Godstow Road, Wolvercote, Oxford, Oxfordshire
In the centre of the village, the White Hart is a lovely stone built inn on three floors, with dormer windows into the roofline. On a bridge nearby is a large plaque, dedicated to two early aviators who crashed their biplane in September 1912. They were Lieut. C. C. Bettington and Second-Lieut. E. Hotchkiss of the Royal Flying Corps. The pair had died in the wreckage of their aircraft, some 100 yards from this bridge. Their bodies were carried back to the White Hart for the police to investigate, with arrange an inquest. Their ghosts still haunt the pub, wearing blue uniforms. There are accounts that occasionally there are ghostly sounds of that crash in the area. As dawn breaks on 1 May each year at the ruins of nearby Godstow Nunnery, phantom chanting people hear from the empty chapel. The phantom of Rosamund Clifford , reports claim, manifesting in the chapel building where she had served as a nun before her murder.