The Tudor Rose
Salisbury Road, Burgate, Fordingbridge, Hampshire
Here, a Cavalier ghost who comes up behind women staff and runs his spectral hands over their hips, is the resident ghost. During the English Civil War, a Royalist officer returned to this inn to find his lady-friend had been consorting with other men. He placed a curse on this woman, with all other women into perpetuity. One woman, who stayed at the Tudor Rose, over three centuries later, spoke of extraordinary things happening to her during the night. However, she would never explain. At least 600 years old, the Tudor Rose is further haunted by footsteps heard ascending and descending stairs. There have been sightings of the ghost of a woman floating up the staircase with the sound of swishing skirts. The Tudor period was from 1485 to 1603 and the rose was adopted as a badge by Henry VII. This insignia combined a red and a white rose.