The Ringlestone Inn
Ringlestone Road, Wormshill, Ringlestone, nr Maidstone, Kent, Harrietsham
Built in 1553, it was originally a hospice for monks and became an alehouse in 1615. It still has the original brick and flint walls, oak beams and inglenook fireplaces, with much old English furniture. Once it was owned by two women, who practised firing their shotguns through open windows. Legend has it that when they felt like closing for the night, they would appear with a gun and ‘invite’ people to go home. The Ringlestone exhibits ghostly manifestations. these include another previous proprietor and the sound of muffled gunshots. The resonance of someone stamping up the cellar steps has frequently been heard, stopping just before reaching the top, although no one is ever seen.