The New Inn
Main Rd, Shalfleet, Isle of Wight
At one time, the building of the New Inn was a church house, with converted to a pub in 1746. It is a fabulous old style inn, with flagstone floors, log fires and rustic seats outside. The many artefacts within include an old-fashioned rifle and a built in inglenook fireplace. The New Inn exhibits ghostly manifestations. these include a worker who was seriously injured and died at the old Shalfleet Mill in the late 1800s. His body was carried to this inn for the police to attend and an inquest to be held. There have also been accounts of poltergeist activity, with noises in the night, with items spirited away. The parish church dates from 1070, with the wall of the tower is over five feet thick. This was originally built as a refuge for the villagers from French raiding parties, which came ashore at Newtown Creek. Shalfleet was recorded as Old English Aet Scealdan Fleot in AD 838 and Selceflet by 1086.