The Compasses Inn
Station Rd, Gomshall, Guildford, Surrey
An apparition , witnesses see, to skip alongside the village brook in the evenings, with enter through the front door of the pub. She is believed to have been a teenaged girl, who had lived at the Compasses early in the 20th century. There is a further ghost, a woman in her early twenties, who haunts the pub’s interior. She is reputed to have drowned in the Tillingbourne as she tried to escape from a fire in the building. There are several interpretations on Compass, or Compasses, for inn names. It can be for mariners, carpenters, or as a guide for a moral choice. The Compasses, Gomshall, opened originally about 1820 as a beer house. It was originally called God Encompasses. History shows that the village had close connections with the wool trade. A high proportion of the villagers were employed as spinners, weavers, fullers, pelterers and tailors.