White Horse Inn
Church Hill, Eythorne, Dover, Kent
In 1778, the 25th Foot Regiment, the Edinburgh Regiment, was in garrison at Dover and the name of this pub was City of Edinburgh after that occasion. Although there is another legend that the City of Edinburgh named the pub after a wrecked freighter of that name, in the Dover Straits when they used the name- plate off the ship. It was renamed the White Horse in 1818. People used it to hold inquests during the early 1800s. After one such inquest on a sailor washed ashore from a wrecked ship, there have been reports of a man in uniform playing a tin whistle and haunting one of the bars. The original building was constructed during the reign of Edward 3rd in 1365. It was then occupied by the verger of the adjacent St James’s Church. By 1574, it was the home and offices of the Ale Taster for Dover. Inside are bare wooden floors, a white painted ceiling and black beams. The bar counter is built of brick.