The Golden Lion
11 Priory Street, Dover, Kent
Named after the heraldry of Henry 1 and the dukes of Northumberland, the pub exhibits ghostly manifestations. these include a tall thin man in a Victorian style suit. His ghost enters through the front door, looks around and then disappears. Originally, the building was two cottages, with opened as an inn in 1846, when they advertised good stabling. During the 19th and early 20th centuries, they held a five am licence for early morning passengers leaving for the continent. There had been an earlier Golden Lyon. It was opened in 1736 on a nearby site, almost in the shadow of Dover Castle. The present Golden Lion is , locals knew, locally as the ‘Golden Roarer’. Victorian author, Charles Dickens, is reputed to have rested here whilst awaiting a boat to the continent. It is a one bar pub with pictures of the local Winkle Club after one of Dickens’s characters, which raises money for local charities and old photos of the pub along with maritime prints.