The St Woodnesborough, Sandwich, Kent
A most unusual name for an inn at the centre of the village, with there is a list of proprietors and proprietors to 1719, when the first was Richard Sanders. It appears to have been called the Charity Inn since 1714. Many years ago, local farmers who employed casual labour, gave them tokens for food, drink and accommodation to spend at this pub. These were kept in a slotted wooden box, with at the end of the week, the farmer collected the tokens and gave money to the proprietor. Presumably, this was looked upon as charity, which then gave rise to the pub name. Two men have haunted the Charity since the late 1880s, which died at or after a funeral at St Mary’s church. One was a mute, a professional mourner, with the other was a funeral featherman, now , locals knew, as an undertaker. The featherman walked in front of the mourners with a tray of black feather plumes, given as a mark of respect by relations and colleagues.