The Thatched House
74 Churchgate, Stockport, Cheshire
Originally called the Thatched Tavern, the building was the first infirmary in the town and a mortuary. There are at present steps down to the mortuary, which has been sealed off. This facility had been founded by Dr James Briscall (1751- 1814). On occasions, his ghost has been sitting at one end of the bar of this pub, wearing a high hat of that period. There have been good reports of individuals spilling their drinks as they are pushed from behind when no one has been near them. The cellar of the pub is home to a female ghost, who has terrified those who have come across her.