Ye Olde King's Head
48 - 50 Lower Bridge Street, Chester
With history from the 12th century, the inn is now a Second-grade listed building protected by English Heritage. In 1633, it was the home of Randle Home, mayor of Chester. Two men killed each other in a fight over a woman here and, people say, to haunt the upper part of the inn. There have been appearances of these men over the years. Both are dressed in dark suits. Legend has it that someone hid one of the swords from that duel in a wall. The ghost of a small child also roams the pub, causing much in the way of poltergeist activity. It may well be that this is the same child who leaves obscure messages, scrawled on mirrors. It was at one time the townhouse of Peter the Clerk, the administrator of Chester Castle. The pub name refers to when Charles 1st stayed at the nearby Gamul House during the English Civil War. The building dates from 1622 on foundations dating from 1208. Authorities licensed it as an inn in 1717.