The Marlborough Arms
3 St. John St, Chester, Cheshire
Well, the name of the pub is how it appears today. However, in 1885 the inn sign read ‘Marlbororough Arms’. A sign writer employed to make this sign. While doing so, he encountered the pub’s ghost. This was a former proprietor who had slit his throat at a moment of despair. Watched by this phantom, the sign-writer struggled to complete the job. However, in his trembling hand added an extra ‘or’ into the name. Doubtless, the sign writer has long gone to his reward. The dead proprietor, however, remains as a ghost. There are creeping black shadows in the cellar where he died with the sound of gurgling.