8 Bedale Street, South Bank (SE1), Central London, Greater London, Southwark
In March 1807, the stub of a candle dropped in the bar started a fire that ripped through the old building of the Globe Inn. The proprietor, his wife and five children escaped. However, five lodgers out of twenty perished in the inferno and smoke. “Several of the local buildings were much injured’’ according to contemporary newspaper reports. Several of the male lodgers who died have , witnesses saw, at different times. They are dressed in old style working clothing, with one , witnesses describe, as having a hideously burned face. The pub name is associated with Shakespeare. Firstly, the Globe Theatre was nearby. Secondly, his plays were performed during his lifetime.