The Blacksmiths Arms
Cudham Lane South, Cudham, Sevenoaks, Kent
In 1638, this was a farmhouse with stables and a blacksmith set up business here. By 1729 it was both a ’smithy and alehouse with some accommodation. In 1730, it became licensed as an inn, with the original iron anvil still stands outside. One proprietor’s son, Harry Relph, was his 16th child born in the inn, who later became ‘Little Titch’ in the music halls. Now in the pub behind glass are his 28-inch long stage shoes and other stage props. Little Titch, who was born in 1867 and died in 1928, was only four feet six inches tall with six digits on each hand. Titch Relph still haunts the Blacksmith’s Arms, with many have seen his ghost sitting under the apple tree in the garden.