Opposite the castle where King John died in 1216, the Royal Oak is a low, white painted pub with a wide entrance for coaches and village waggons. The pub name ‘Royal Oak’ celebrates the escape of Charles 2nd after the Battle of Worcester in1651. To commemorate his return from France, the king announced that May 29th would be Oak Apple Day and the people would enjoy themselves. The Royal Oak exhibits ghostly manifestations. these include an elderly woman in Victorian servant’s clothing, appearing in the upstairs passageway and kitchen. However, there is no local legend to her paranormal appearances.