Water Ln, Eyam, Hope Valley, Derbyshire
There are a number of phantoms here. Witnesses see and hear ghosts. They include two teenaged girls, who perished in a fire at the pub many years ago. They were called Sara and Emma. People staying here have heard voices calling out these names to each other. The area was the burial pits for victims of Eyam’s plague, 1665-1666. The Miners’ Arms is also haunted by a little old woman dressed in a black frock. The pub dates from 1630. It is just outside the village is Mompesson’s Well. Here, during the plague, food, and clothing was left. Coins were put out by the villagers, after being disinfected with vinegar, for the tradesmen. The plague arrived at the village after some infected clothing had been sent from London. It is claimed that some of the pub ghosts were victims of that plague.