Main Road, Martlesham, Woodbridge, Suffolk
During the Second World War, Martlehsam had a major airfield nearby. A pilot, who had been a frequent customer at the Red Lion, expired as he landed his aircraft. That sad young man is now the resident pub ghost. The surrounding heathland is also haunted by other pilots and crew who expired whilst out on bombing raids over Germany. Local residents and local police officers have reported strange dark shapes, especially on moonlit nights. The village has been called Martlehsam since 1254, Old English for a homestead in a woodland clearing frequented by martens.