The King William IV
185 Sandridge Rd, St Albans, Hertfordshire
Although this is a comparatively new pub, it has its own superior ghost. The building dates from 1937, with even then, there were accounts of it being haunted. The first to see this manifestation in the beer cellar was a chef who went down to collect stock cards. As soon as he opened the door, he felt a cold blast and there, standing before him, was a man of about six feet tall with a moustache. This phantom was dressed in British army uniform with green buttons on his tunic. This suggests he had been an officer in the Green Howards, a regiment that dates to the Austrian Succession of the 1700s. The pub name is after the third son of George 3rd who had served in the Royal Navy.