2-8 Timber Hill, Norwich, Norfolk
Now, this really is one for the book. Since the early 20th century, it was , locals knew, by locals as the Murderer’s Arms. The present building is early Victorian, 1841. However, it has history from 1696. It took on its sinister alternative name when, in June 1895, the proprietor’s daughter, Millie, , an assailant took this person’s life, by her estranged husband, Frank Miles. He had attacked her with a hammer he took from a local brewery where he worked. However, although he pleaded guilty, his death sentence was commuted to life in prison. After a petition of 22,000 signatures, the judge permitted leniency for ‘extreme provocation’. Millie still haunts the Gardeners, with when she manifests, she is wearing a grey dress, has dark hair and a much-rouged face. Today, outside, the inn sign uniquely shows the double images of The Gardeners Arms and The Murderers whilst inside, newspaper articles from 1895 adorn the walls.