The Three Horseshoes
The Green, Houghton, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire
The Three Horseshoes opened in 1622. This is a long building with dormer windows into the roof. A group of three horseshoes was in the heraldry of the Worshipful Company of Farriers (1673), the Ferrers family, earls of Derby. On the village square is Ye Olde Village Shoppe. It is from this shop that emanates the ghost of a small boy, witnessed by many people in the village. Witnesses see him running in terror from outside the shop across to a point where there was once the village pond. A man wielding a leather strap follows the boy. Suddenly, both disappear. The Three Horseshoes exhibits ghostly manifestations. These include an aged farmer or agricultural worker. Witnesses see this phantom sitting in one of the small rooms with an old-fashioned beer mug of pewter or clay on the table.