Book Haunted Inns and Hotels in Epping Forest

The Cock Inn Hotel

The Street, Henham

Long ago, there were four pubs at Hockerill Crossroads, now only one remains, the Cock Inn with history from 1547 and licensed since 1620. It is timber-framed with three gables and crooked windows. The name of this Victorian style of the pub has been used since the 14th century, which often indicated that cockfighting took place on the premises. It could also refer to the fact that the proprietor sold cock- ale, a mixture of ale, with the jelly of a minced cockerel. Underneath the somewhat prosaic façade of the Victorian style of architecture, the Cock Inn has much more in the way of 18th-century features. It was a popular coaching inn and Charles 1st stayed at the more luxurious George Hotel whilst Nell Gwyn stayed here on one visit to the town. Licensees have noticed over the years that most of the paranormal incidents start with renovation or building work. Before any such work started, one proprietor put out vases of flowers and actually spoke aloud to the ghosts, promising that the work would be a great improvement. This was effective, with for years, the ghosts and apparitions hid away. Most frequent ghosts at the Cock are an elderly man in the English Civil War uniform of a Cavalier and a 17th-century serving wench, with a low cut frock. There has also been some heavy poltergeist activity, with tables flying across rooms, electric lights breaking, with dramatic drops in temperature.
Booking.com
join.booking.com