7 Bridge Street, Bishops Stortford
The name of this pub has been used since the 15th century. It was originally a religious reference to the Virgin Mary or the Star of Bethlehem. Since 1634, the sign has appeared in the Worshipful Company of Innholders, formerly a guild of innkeepers. Beneath its present Victorian façade, it has a 17th century timber frame structure. It exhibits ghostly manifestations. these include the town’s ubiquitous ghost, the Grey Lady, witnessed by licensees and customers over many years. One cleaner fled when she was confronted by this apparition, saying she would never return. It is a former coaching inn and the old stables are now a beer garden.