The Blue Boar Public House
17 Trinity Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
The Blue Boar was once a popular pub name throughout the country. It was in the heraldry of the Earl of Oxford. The White Boar referred to Richard 3rd. The defeat of Richard with the Yorkists at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485 is significant to this pub. After the defeat, publican painted White Boar pub signs blue, becoming the Blue Boar. This inn exhibits ghostly manifestations by a young Eton scholar on holiday that died of excitement during a cockfight in the stable yard. Reporters have heard him shouting encouragement before there is a sudden loud gasp, with the sound of a body hitting the ground. Pickerel One of the oldest inns of Cambridge, it is near the river with medieval bridge. The Pickerel has had, in the distant past, a reputation as a brothel with opium den. The pub name is after the young pike. Medieval Englanders considered this fish to be good eating. It is an unusual inn name. There are only three such throughout the country. A riverboat carried the goods to the Pickerel with stored in the rear yard. Cockfights took place in this yard, organised by waggoners with water boatmen. The Pickerel exhibits ghostly manifestations. These include sounds of these birds fighting. The shouts of the men persuaded them to further fury. These ghostly sounds are from the early 19th century, as various acts between 1835 and 1845 banned cockfighting.